Cool down, Managing Tantrums, Anger and Meltdowns in your Family
A workshop with Catherine Coulter from Bristol Child Parent Support.
Date: Friday 20th April
Time: 10 am – 12 noon
Cost: £35 per person
Venue: Muller House, Ashley Down
Do you or your child need to “Cool Down”?
Anger and conflict are all part of family life. Anger is not a negative emotion but we sometimes find it difficult to manage it in ourselves and our children. Intense anger can lead to meltdowns that are not easy for anyone to manage and can fill your child’s system with cortisol. Research shows the repeated stimulation of Cortisol decreases serotonin, our happy hormone.
Sometimes we call these states a “Hot States”, this taster workshop will enable you and your child discover ways of “cooling down” using positive authoritative parenting techniques. (For ages up to 12)
Do you want to:
- Understand triggers, why your child may be angry, have meltdowns, be aggressive or have tantrums?
- Learn some basic neuroscience, “fight and flight” response and the role of your child’s amygdala and why this may impact on the behaviour.
- Understand how to respond with brain based parenting in order to manage the different types of anger.
- Respond to it without blame or shaming your child.Learn methods alternative ways of managing it and helping your children to learn self-control and help them to emotionally regulate?
You will learn to be an Authoritative Parent, not a one that gives in or one that is too strict. Catherine will teach you foster techniques to help you find balance, calm and peace in your parenting.
How to initiate positive long-term strategies such as:
- Special time and play
- How to stimulate dopamine, serotonin and oxytocin (our feel good hormones)
- Family Rules
- Time in/out
- Family meetings
The course is non-refundable and payment is in advance. Places are limited.