My kids love to help me cook and have done so since they were little.
One recipe which my kids like to help make is Spiced Banana Pudding, a recipe from the brilliant I Can Cook programme on CBeebies. This recipe is easy enough for young children and quick enough to keep their attention throughout.
Whatever age or stage your child, they can help with making this dessert. Even young children can help butter the bread, crack the egg, stir the mixture and sprinkle the fruit!
- 25g/1 oz butter, plus extra for greasing
- 2 slices stale brown bread
- 1 egg
- 125ml/4fl oz milk
- 4 tsp demerara sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 ripe banana, peeled, sliced
- 1 tbsp sultanas, raisins or mixed dried fruit (we used blueberries as well as raisins in ours!)
1) Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350F/Gas 4. Grease a small ovenproof dish.
2) Butter bread and cut each slice into 4 triangles.
3) Peel and slice banana.
4) Whisk egg in a jug, then whisk in milk, sugar and cinnamon.
5) Arrange 4 bread triangles in the bottom of the dish, layer over the bananas and sprinkle over the raisins.
6) Top with the remaining bread.
7) Pour over egg mixture and sprinkle over a little more sugar.
8) All ready to go in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes!
9) Eat and enjoy!