If you are looking for an easy, filling and tasty dish that your kids will enjoy eating, then Toad in the Hole is sure to be a winner. It’s also a great dish to make if you have family or friends round!
Here’s the recipe I always use.
4 oz plain flour
1/2 pint milk
2 tablespoons water
butter for greasing
Pinch of salt
Sprinkling of dried/fresh herbs
- Put flour in a bowl and then add the milk and water, gradually stirring as you do so until the mixture becomes a paste. Add a sprinkling of herbs and a pinch of salt.
- Beat the eggs in a cup and pour into the flour mixture, stirring well.
- Place sausages in frying pan with some oil and cook over a medium heat until slightly brown all over.
- Place sausages in a metal dish greased with butter so that they are evenly spaced out.
- Pour mixture over sausages.
- Place dish in pre-heated oven of 220°C (slightly less if fan-assisted oven) and cook for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!