I recently posted some pictures of my home-made sausage rolls on my Instagram page and they received lots of interest so I thought I would share the recipe on Bristol Mum!
Home-made sausage rolls are easy to make and delicious, plus are versatile as you can add any filling of your choice to the sausage mixture.
This includes anything from apple, tomato, courgette or whatever veg you have knocking around in your fridge, therefore adding some vitamin C and making them a bit more of a healthy choice.
In the sausage rolls I have pictured here I added pieces of chopped up apple (I love the combination of sausage and apple), plus some chopped courgette.
Although I say ‘home-made’ I do cheat by buying puff pastry rather than making it which saves me time, but you can make your own pastry if you prefer!
- Pack of sausages
- Puff pastry/home-made pastry
- Pieces of chopped fruit/veggies of your choice (see ideas above), plus herbs and seasoning)
- Tiny bit of milk and egg mixed together in cup
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Take your sausages, make a slit in each one to peel off and dispose of skins.
- Mix sausage mixture in a bowl along with your filling, plus herbs and seasoning.
- Roll out puff pastry, cut longways into 2 strips then arrange sausage mix in a line down each.
- Brush pastry on either side with egg and milk, then make into sausage rolls, knitting each join together well. Brush outside of sausage rolls with egg and milk again.
- Put in oven for about 20 mins on 180°C or until golden.
- Eat and enjoy!